The training session focused on contents for the counselling of refugee researchers (RRs, researchers with a refugee background).
EURAXESS supports international researchers (from PhD candidates to leading researchers) with a transnational job database and national services that facilitate and support cross-border mobility and career development in the highly competitive environment of European research. Even in the best case scenario a refugee background adds various systematically disadvantageous aspects to the situation of highly qualified researchers. This makes it all the more important to ensure that comprehensive information is made available at the earliest possible stage to enable self-determined career planning and an outlook on possible alternative career paths as well as prerequisites that will be needed.
The following topics were covered during the training session:
- Basic knowledge of the Austrian asylum process and its effects on the perspective of working in academia.
- Psychological input on counselling and mechanisms as well as information on Austrian support networks.
- Information on international, national and regional support networks for refugee researchers and researchers in danger.
- (Early) career development counselling and career perspectives outside of academia.
- Internships in research.
- Current Austrian research and business development programmes for start-ups and small entrepreneurs.