Highlight your future. Study in Austria.
The international presentation of Austria as an attractive location for higher education is one of the main tasks of the OeAD. Since 2002 the OeAD has been in charge of the presentation of Austria as an attractive location for science and research abroad; in the OeAD Act of 2009 the "presentation of Austria as a location for cooperation" has been included. As an agency of the federal government the OeAD supports the internationalisation strategies of the higher education institutions.
Support group for Austria as a location for higher education
At the end of May 2021 the support group for Austria as a location for higher education was constituted. The support group acts as a committee for discussing priorities and project ideas related to Austria’s international positioning in higher education. Topics and projects are presented in this forum – with the aim of obtaining qualified feedback, gauging opportunities and risks and assessing the prospects for success from both a technical and a strategic point of view.
Due to their global dimension developments and trends in international cooperation also have an impact on Austria. However, the national strategic framework (such as the RTI Pact or the Higher Education Mobility and Internationalisation Strategy / HMIS 2030) and, last but not least, the effects of the Covid 19 pandemic on academic mobility also require adaptations in the setting of priorities. In order to coordinate conclusions and fields of action as closely as possible with the higher education sector the OeAD installed this support committee, which accompanies the activities of Austria’s international positioning as a sounding board with advisory status.
The support group consists of representatives of the stakeholders involved, the respective umbrella associations of the higher education institutions and those responsible for internationalisation from the higher education institutions. It meets two to three times a year.
How does the OeAD promote higher education institutions internationally
Under the label of “Highlight your future. Study in Austria” we provide information about available courses and places of study in Austria and represent all Austrian higher education institutions (universities, university of applied sciences, university colleges of teacher education) at international education fairs. We support higher education institutions in their international activities, we promote internationally relevant courses (e.g. programmes taught in English) and we provide information about Austria as a location for higher education by means of our brochures, websites and databases.
As an agency for education and internationalisation the OeAD-GmbH supports the higher education institutions’ internationalisation strategies and the global orientation of corresponding activities. In addition to the comprehensive support of national, European and international scholarship and funding programmes this also includes the international presentation of Austria as a location for research and science.
The aim of Austria’s international positioning in higher education is to make the broad spectrum of study, teaching and research opportunities as well as academic cooperation known internationally.
The goals are:
- Increasing the attractiveness of Austria as a location for higher education and research
- Representing the Austrian higher education institutions at multiplier fairs in Europe, Asia/Australia and North America
- Positioning of Austria worldwide as a location for higher education and research in all its aspects
- Worldwide positioning of all Austrian higher education institutions and higher education sectors
- Presence of Austria on the international education market and enhancing the image of being an innovative provider of high quality degree courses that can be followed by post-graduate studies in other countries
- Supporting the higher education institutions in the expansion of their international networks and cooperations
- Providing independent information about the whole educational offer of all higher education sectors
- Attracting excellent international young budding researchers to come to Austria
Who do we represent?
With its online and print media, with events and initiatives the OeAD represents all higher education institutions, promotes all study programmes and handles all enquiries about Austria as a location for higher education.
- 22 public universities
- (of which 6 universities of the arts, 3 universities of technology and 3 medical universities)
- 16 private universities
- 21 universities of applied sciences
- 14 university colleges of teacher education and other accredited higher education institutions
International higher education fairs
The OeAD represents all Austrian higher education institutions under the label “Highlight your future. Study in Austria” at international university fairs.
Here you will find more information about the international education fairs that we attend.
Survey – Impact of Covid-19 on academic mobility
In March 2021, the OeAD consulted people involved in internationalization at Austrian universities as part of a survey on "Effects of Covid-19 on academic mobility - internationalization of universities in post-covid times". The aim of the survey was, on one hand, to obtain information about the status quo and, on the other hand, to obtain focal points and trends for the international accents of the respective institution, also with regard to our agenda "Austria as a location for higher education".