Nationals from EU/EEA countries and Swiss nationals
Nationals of EU/EEA countries and Swiss nationals do not need a visa for entry to Austria or a residence title for residence in Austria. For entry to Austria they only need a valid travel document (passport or identity card).
Staying for more than three months
If you are staying in Austria for longer than three months you have to – in addition to the registration according to the Registration Act (see Checklist below) – register with the competent residence authority in Austria (Magistrat, Bezirkshauptmannschaft) within the first four months of your stay and you will receive a confirmation of registration (“Anmeldebescheinigung”) (fee of 15 euro additional fees may arise).
For this registration the following documents are necessary:
- completed and signed application form
Guide for filling in the confirmation of registration (in German)
- passport or identification card
- proof of health insurance covering all the necessary costs (e.g. European Health Insurance Card, insurance policy)
- OeAD confirmation (of the scholarship)
- if available: confirmation of admission by the university
If you fail to apply for the confirmation of registration you may have to pay a fine of up to 250 Euro. If you fail register according to the Registration Act at the registration office you may have to pay a fine of up to 726 Euro.
The confirmation of registration is valid for an unlimited period of time and does not need to be renewed.
Bringing along family members
Receiving a scholarship does not automatically entitle you to bring along family members (spouse, unmarried minors) to Austria. If you do want to bring your family along you have to cover the additional costs yourself. Family members who themselves do not have EU/EEA nationality may then apply for a residence card (“Aufenthaltskarte").
- OeAD confirmation (of the scholarship),
- Valid travel document,
- Proof of health insurance, proof of accommodation, if available: confirmation of admission by the university.
- Within three working days: register with the registration office at your place of residence in Austria. Information can be found here.
- If you are staying for longer than three months: confirmation of registration (“Anmeldebescheinigung”)