FAQ - Ernst Mach-Grant ASEA-UNINET

These FAQs refer to the call for the Austrian academic year 2021/2022 only!

FAQ - Ernst Mach Grant ASEA-UNINET

How do I apply for a scholarship?

1) General remarks

Please have in mind that your application will be read by several persons (e.g. our evaluators, the experts, etc.). Therefore, we kindly ask you to make sure that the information you give is comprehensive, coherent and understandable. Also, check if your entries are complete and free of spelling errors. Once you have finished your application, we recommend to go through a careful editing phase.

2) Who is eligible for this grant?

  • Undergraduates and graduates of artistic fields for a study visit in the field of music.
  • Postgraduates pursuing a doctorate/PhD-programme at an ASEA-UNINET member university in Cambodia, Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, or Vietnam.
  • Postgraduates who want to carry out a full doctorate/PhD-programme in Austria and fulfill the requirements for admission.
  • Postdocs who are involved in teaching and research at an ASEA-UNINET member university in Cambodia, Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, or Vietnam.

Eligiblity for application: Only those candidtaes who hold the citizenship of Cambodia, Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, or Vietnam are eligible to apply for this grant.

Please read the grant regulations carefully before applying.

Maximum age: graduates and postgraduates: 35 years; postdocs: 45 years

3) Can I apply if I currently study at an Austrian university?

No. The Ernst Mach incoming grants are aimed at visiting scholars for a short research stay only. If you are a regular student at an Austrian university, you are not eligible. For more information on other Austrian grant opportunities, please visit our online database www.grants.at

4) Can I apply if I am already a visiting scholar at an Austrian university?

You cannot apply for your present stay in Austria. However, it is possible to apply for a future stay in the next academic year. But please note that applicants must not have studied/pursued research/pursued academic work in Austria in the last six months before taking up an Ernst Mach grant. So you have to interrupt your stay for at least six months before coming to Austria again.

5) Can I use this grant to enroll at a PhD or Postdoc programme in Austria?

The Ernst Mach incoming grants are aimed at postgraduates for max. 36 months and visiting or exchange scholars for a short research/study stay (3 to 9 months. For more information on other Austrian grant opportunities, please visit the online database www.grants.at

6) Are all Austrian universities eligible as host institutions for a grant application?

Only Austrian ASEA-UNINET partner institutions are eligible to host Ernst Mach-ASEA-UNINET grant awardees for a research stay.

7) Do I need to enroll at an Austrian university in order to apply for the grant?

You need to enroll as a regular student at university only if you pursue a complete study programme in Austria. For a research grant you do not have to enroll at an Austrian university. However, you do need a written confirmation of supervision from an Austrian university lecturer to support your research project in Austria.

8) Can the OeAD help me to find an academic supervisor in Austria?

No, unfortunately we are not able to help you in this regard. You need a confirmation of academic supervision from an Austrian professor for your application. Such a written consent may only be issued for the eligible programs open for application by a full or associated professor at an Austrian ASEA-UNINET partner university.

To look for a professor who supports your research stay, please browse the websites of Austrian universities to find an institute that suits your academic profile. All Austrian ASEA-UNINET partner universities are eligible for an application. It is best to ask professors directly, they are used to requests like that. For an overview on Austrian universities please follow the link: www.studyinaustria.at

9) Can my Austrian academic supervisor also issue a letter of recommendation?

No, please have in mind that your Austrian supervisor has to issue a written confirmation of supervision and cannot write you a letter of recommendation in addition. In that case, the reference letter will be considered as invalid.

11) Can my professors send the letters of recommendation directly to the OeAD-agency?

Normally, you will have to upload your letters of recommendation into your online application account. If professors at your university do not usually hand out signed letters of recommendation, please ask your professors to send the letters directly to. Note that we have to upload the letters to your online application file, so that you can submit your application. Therefore, we cannot guarantee confidentiality to your professors, because you will have access to your online application, including the letters, at all times. Please make sure that the letters arrive before the deadline. Documents that arrive after the deadline cannot be accepted.

12) Do I need to translate my documents?

If the documents are in English a translation into German is not necessary. If your documents are neither in English nor German, please upload a copy of the original document and also provide an English or German translation of the document.

13) Do I have to submit officially certified translations?

No. If the original document is neither in English nor German, please upload a copy of the original and a rough English or German translation. An officially certified translation is not required.

15) Do I have to submit official testing certificates to prove my language proficiency?

No. There is no need to submit any official testing certificate, such as a TOEFL, etc., but you should have sufficient knowledge of English or German in the respective subject area.

Your Austrian academic supervisor also has to confirm that your project can be done in English or German.

15) Where can I upload my research proposal?

The research proposal has to be uploaded in the "uploads" section during the online application process. The relevant category is named "research plan".

16) What should I consider for planning the time period of my research stay?

Within the regulations of the programme, you are free to plan your research stay the way you see fit. However, in our experience with former scholarship holders, we recommend the following:

  • Please inform yourself about the legal regulations to enter Austria and plan the start of your research stay so that there is enough time for waiting periods set by the entry requirements. Please be aware that these regulations might differ depending on the length of your stay, especially if you are a national of a non-EU country and plan a research stay of more than 6 months (https://oead.at/en/to-austria/scholars/before-arrival/entry-conditions/). The length of your stay also affects your options for health insurance (https://oead.at/en/to-austria/entry-residence-and-employment/insurance/).
  • Please be aware that you can apply for a time period consisting of full months only. Please make sure to apply for a time period starting on the first of a month and ending on the last. If you plan to arrive at the middle of a month, administrative problems might occur. Additionally, you might lose money by, for example, having to pay full months of rent.

17) Is it possible to hand in documents after the deadline?

No, documents submitted after the deadline will not be accepted.

18) When should I submit my application?

The application deadline is on the closing date mentioned in the online call at 23:59 (CET - Central European Time). After the deadline, all applications will be examined by experts. Please do not wait until the last moment of the deadline to submit your application. Once you press the “submit application” button, the system will automatically check if specific entries in your application is complete. This process may take a while and error massages may occur. Please also note that technical support will not be online outside office hours.

Own funds

19) Why are own funds required for this scholarship?

The scholarship rate might not cover all expenses for your research stay in Austria. In addition to your stay in Austria, you might have various expenses before you are able to enter Austria. Hence, own funds are required. Please make sure to inform yourself about living costs in Austria beforehand. Increased expenses may occur due to

  • compulsory health insurance;
  • accommodation;
  • proof of own funds to the Austrian residence authority to receive your residence permit (e.g. if your accommodation costs more than EUR 300/month);
  • travel costs to the Austrian representative authority to receive your visa;
  • journey to Austria;
  • down payment for your accommodation.

20) Do I have to provide evidence of my own funds?

You do not need to provide evidence of own funds to the OeAD agency. However, the Austrian residence authority might require proof of your funds in case of increased living costs (e.g., for health insurance or when your accommodation costs more than EUR 300/month).

Your online application must include a financial plan that covers your estimated living costs in Austria. We attempt to assist you in estimating these costs. Your estimated livings costs do not influence the prospect of success. However, the scholarship rate will be reduced in accordance with your estimation if the scholarship rate is higher than your actual living costs.

21) Is it possible to raise the scholarship rate if I can account for increased expenses, e.g. if I bring my family along?

No. Unfortunately, it is not possible to increase the scholarship rate.

How does the selection process work?

22) Who decides if I will be awarded with a scholarship?

First, the formal criteria of your application will be evaluated by us. The selection of all formally valid applications follows a multistage process:

  1. Examination as to formal requirements
  2. Assessment of the application’s plausibility
  3. Interview by a board of examiners of ASEA-UNINET and on mandadory auditions (in case of an application in the field of music)
  4. Final decision by the BMBWF

Based on the results of this evaluation, the board of examiners of ASEA-UNINETwill award the best applicants with a scholarship.

Award and entry to Austria

23) How will I be informed about the results?

We will inform you and your academic supervisor in Austria via e-mail.

24) What happens if I get the grant? What do I need to think about before coming to Austria?

After we have notified you about the award of your scholarship, you will receive a Letter of Award including information regarding the next steps. You will find information for OeAD scholarship holders and frequently asked questions here: https://oead.at/en/to-austria/scholars

Information for applications in the field of music

25) What is important to consider when applying for a scholarship in the field of music?

1. Mandadory Auditions:

Applicants in the field of music have to participate in an asessment based on mandadory audidtions. The auditions are organized in Asia by the Austrian universities of music and take place in January or February (2021 in March).  If you are interested in applying for a music grant please contact She will forward your contact to the responsible music university. The university will then contact you for further information.

2. Letter of Endorsement:

Applicants having passed the auditions will receive a letter of endorsement issued jointly by the Austrian music universities. Receiving a letter of endorsement does not mean receiving a scholarship! It only makes you eligible to apply for the scholarship.

3. Application via the online tool

When applying through the online tool (www.scholarships.at) please upload the letter of endorsement which replaces the written consent of the supervisor at an Austrian host institution. Instead of the research proposal, applicants in the field of music can upload a motivation letter.

4. Examination of the formal requirements

The applications submitted via scholarships.at will be examinated by the OeAD regarding the formal requirements. Please note that only applications which meet the formal requirements of the scholarship programme will be forwarded to the Austrian music universities for the further selection process.

5. Selection procedure at the Austrian music universities

The decision on which applicants will be proposed for a scholarship in, among others, depends on the availibility of study places and supervisors in the respective field of study.

6. final decision by the BMBWF