Before returning home

Please prepare your return trip in time. You have to remember to do the following things:

Legalisation of your Austrian documents

We recommend to have your degree certificate translated into the language of your country depending on the practice in your home country.

We also suggest to legislate your Austrian university degree documents. Depending on the practice in your home country, we recommend to take the following steps:

  • Step I: Legalisation of the degree document by the Federal Ministry of Science, Research and Economy (Bundesministerium für Wissenschaft, Forschung und Wirtschaft / BMWFW)
    1010 Wien | Teinfaltstraße 8, 3. Stock, Zi. 315, | Hr. Walter Vachalek | Parteienverkehr: Dienstag und Donnerstag von 9.00 bis 12.00 Uhr
    T +43 1 531 20-7854 | E
  • Step II: Legalisation of the degree certificate by the Federal Ministry for European and International Affairs (Bundesministerium für europäische und internationale Angelegenheiten, BMEIA),
    1014 Wien | Minoritenplatz 8 / Eingang Leopold Figl Gasse 5, Erdgeschoss | Legalisierungsbüro
    Parteienverkehr: Montag bis Freitag von 9.00 bis 12.30 Uhr | T 050 1150-4425 oder -3632 | E
  • Step III: Further legalisation ("Überbeglaubigung") by the embassy of your home country in Austria.

Attention: The legalisation of documents can be quite expensive! Please enquire at your embassy in Austria or the appropriate ministry in your home country whether or not a legalisation as described above is necessary for you.

Scholarship report

Your last scholarship instalment will only be paid once you have submitted your final report ("scholarship report"), signed by your academic supervisor. You will get the draft for this report from your OeAD Regional Office.

Cancellation with the responsible Registration Authority

A few days before your departure please de-register with your "Meldebestätigung" with your responsible Registration Authority.

Health Insurance, Medicine

In case health insurance was not done by the OeAD or through your home country, please do not forget to cancel your registration with the respective insurance company (personally or by letter!)

Important: present the cancellation of your "Meldebestätigung" through the Registration Authority.

Bank account

Please don't forget to close your bank account before you leave.