FAQ - Ernst Mach Grant – UKRAINE

How do I apply for a scholarship?

1.) General remarks

Please have in mind that your application will be read by several persons. Therefore, we kindly ask you to make sure that the information you give is comprehensive, coherent and understandable. Also, check if your entries are complete and free of spelling errors. Once you have finished your application, we recommend going through a careful editing phase.

2.) Who is eligible for this grant?

The following persons (maximum age 50 years) with Ukrainian citizenship are eligible to apply for the Ernst Mach-Scholarship Ukraine:

  • Students who are pursuing, or preparing to pursue, a Bachelor, Diploma or Master degree at a Higher Education institution in Austria;
  • Postgraduates pursuing a doctoral/PhD programme in Austria;
  • Postgraduates and Postdocs who want to do research in Austria with a view to an academic career and who have finished their studies (at a university in Ukraine) after September 30th, 2020;
  • Postdocs who were working as lecturers at a university in Ukraine prior to their displacement.

Please read the grant regulations carefully and make sure that you are eligible for this grant programme before applying.

3.) Am I allowed to work while receiving the scholarship?

When receiving the Ernst Mach Grant, you may accept any job with an income below the so-called "marginal earnings threshold" (“Geringfügigkeitsgrenze”). A higher income is not possible, as you would otherwise have to pay tax on the grant and pay social security contributions.

Note: Not all residence titles allow holders to pursue gainful employment, or only allow to engage in certain types of activities.

4.) I am claiming benefits from basic welfare support. Does receiving the scholarship affect this?

Unfortunately, you will have to forego the benefits of basic welfare support (Grundversorgung) if you receive the scholarship. However, an insurance provided by the basic welfare support is not affected and can be legally used together with the scholarship.

If you additionally receive the benefits of basic welfare support (Grundversorgung), you strictly need to inform the competent basic welfare authority about the receipt of the OeAD-scholarship. Receiving both financial supports at once (OeAD scholarship and Grundversorgung) might cause penologic consequences! Once the scholarship has ended, you can apply for basic welfare support again.

5.) Can I apply if I currently study at an Austrian university?

Yes, you are eligible to apply if you have Ukrainian citizenship, even if you are already studying in Austria.

6.) I am still a minor. Can I also apply for an Ernst Mach Grant Ukraine?

Yes, underage displaced persons from Ukraine can also apply for the Ernst Mach-Scholarship Ukraine - however, in this case the declaration of acceptance must be signed by their guardians.

In case you have been granted the scholarship. Please follow the following instructions:

“Minors (who are under the age of 18) are required to provide the signature of one of their legal guardians when submitting a scholarship application. The legal guardian must ensure that she/he provides her/his first and last name, as well as her/his telephone number or e-mail address. Her/his signature, or likewise a certified electronic signature, signifies her/his consent for the minor to apply for the scholarship and confirms that she/he may do so within her/his capacity of a legal guardian (even without another legal guardian of the minor applying for a scholarship).”

7.) Can I use this grant to enroll at a Master or PhD programme in Austria?

To be eligible to apply for this grant, you as a student need to have been successfully enrolled at an Austrian university or a university preparation programme. Currently, the Ernst Mach-Scholarship Ukraine can be awarded for a maximum of 9 months. The scholarship can be extended for a total of 21 months.

8.) When can I start receiving the grant?

Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. While the OeAD aims for a quick selection and awarding of the grant, the actual processing time depends on the number of applications submitted and therefore cannot be estimated in advance.

9.) Are all Austrian universities eligible as host institutions for a grant application?

Yes. All Austrian universities are eligible to host Ernst Mach grant awardees for a research stay. Participation in a University Preparation Programme can also be funded, although course fees are not entailed as part of the funding.

10.) Do I need to enroll at an Austrian university in order to apply for the grant?

Yes, you as a student need to enroll at the university prior to applying for the grant. The confirmation of enrollment at an Austrian university needs to be provided when submitting your grant application.

11.) I am enrolled as an external student (non-degree programme) at a university. Can I still apply for the Ernst Mach Grant Ukraine?

As an external student you may apply under the condition, that you have a proof of admission at an Austrian university (confirmation of enrolment). Please check the further requirements for the application at the Ernst Mach Grant - Ukraine website, before submitting your application.

12.) Can the OeAD help me to find an academic supervisor for my PhD thesis in Austria?

No, unfortunately we are not able to help you in this regard. You need a confirmation of academic supervision from an Austrian professor for your application. To look for a professor who supports your research stay, please browse the websites of Austrian universities to find an institute that suits your academic profile. Basically, all of the Austrian universities are eligible for an application. It is best to ask professors directly, they are used to requests like that. For an overview on Austrian universities please follow the link: www.studyinaustria.at

13.) Are there any restrictions on academic disciplines?

There are no restrictions on subject areas; students and researchers from all academic disciplines can apply for the Ernst Mach Grant - Ukraine. The overview of all disciplines in the Grants.at database can be found here.

14.) Do I need to translate my documents?

If the documents are in English, a translation into German is not necessary. If your documents are neither in English nor German, please upload a copy of the original document and also provide an English or German translation of the document.

15.) Do I have to submit officially certified translations?

No. If the original document is neither in English nor German, please upload a copy of the original and a rough English or German translation. An officially certified translation is not required.

16.) Do I have to submit official testing certificates to prove my language proficiency?

No. There is no need to submit any official testing certificate, such as a TOEFL, etc., but you should have sufficient knowledge of English in the respective subject area. Please indicate your language proficiencies in your online application.

17.) What kind of information is required in the field “Summary of your study/research project”?

  • Students who are pursuing a Bachelor's, Diploma or Master's degree: Please specify your motivation for study and academic goals here.
  • Doctoral students: Please briefly describe your research project, the prospective work steps you have planned, the chosen methods with included rationale, and scientific knowledge to be gained.”
  • Postdocs: Please indicate whether you have already established contacts with an Austrian university and what research or teaching activities you are planning.

18.) Where can I upload my research proposal?

An upload of your research proposal is not necessary. Please fill in the various sections of your online application thoroughly to let our evaluators know about your planned research activities.

19.) Can I upload a copy of an identity card instead of a passport?

A valid passport or displaced persons identification needs to be submitted (on the page with name and photo).

20.) When should I submit my application?

Applications are accepted on a rolling basis without deadline.

21.) When will I be informed about the outcome of my application?

We are trying hard to process and review the applications as quickly as possible. Since there is no application deadline and we are constantly receiving high numbers of applications, we are unfortunately unable to give an exact timeframe. You can contribute to a speedy processing of your application by providing precise and comprehensible information and uploading all required documents. (This makes it easier for us to review your application and thus speeds up the selection process.)

Award and Entry to/Stay in Austria

22.) What happens if I get the grant?

After we have notified you about the award of your scholarship, you will receive a Letter of Award including information regarding the next steps. You will find information for OeAD scholarship holders and frequently asked questions here: https://oead.at/en/to-austria/scholars

Our Infopoint Ukraine can be found here: https://oead.at/en/the-oead/information-about-ukraine
Information (in German) by the Austrian Ministry of Interior can be found here: https://www.bmi.gv.at/

These last two pages are continuously kept up-to-date.