Entry, residence and employment
Whether or not you will need a visa to enter Austria as an international student or researcher depends on the country you come from and on how long you want to stay.
- before travelling to Austria: the legal regulations pertaining to foreign nationals regarding visas and residence permits
- after arriving in Austria: the regulations concerning registering at your place of residence
Click on the category of persons you belong to and you will find detailed information about the respective entry or residence requirements:
- Information for nationals of EU/EEA countries and Switzerland (Belgium, Great Britain, Luxembourg, Sweden, Bulgaria, Ireland, Malta, Slowakia, Denmark, Island, Netherlands, Slowenia, Germany, Italy, Norway, Spain, Estonia, Croatia, Austria, Czech Republic, Finland, Latvia, Poland, Hungary, France, Liechtenstein, Portugal, Cyprus, Greece, Lithuania, Romania, Switzerland)
- Information for nationals of other countries (third countries)
- Information for OeAD scholarship holders
Please read the information on our website first!
If you have any further questions about entry and residence please contact email@example.com:
- Make sure to state your nationality, the purpose of your stay and the intended duration of your stay in Austria in your enquiry.
- Please note that we can only answer enquiries about entry and residence regulations related to studying, teaching or undertaking research in Austria.
Attention: We cannot enquire or intervene on your behalf at the Austrian authorities!
- Important Notice (156,0 B)
- Guide to Residence and Employment of International Researchers (1,6 MB)
- Guide to Entry and Employment for International Students (1,4 MB)
- OEIF Studying Working in Austria.pdf (878,5 KB)
- TaxationGUIDEAustria2011.pdf (358,9 KB)
- Assignment for the right of use of accommodation (156,0 B)