Information about Entry and Residence for Students and Researchers

Information in connection with COVID-19

Due to the particular circumstances with the COVID-19 pandemic the Federal Ministry of Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection issued a regulation, which allows the entry to Austria under special conditions.

Information regarding actual entry conditions for Austria (especially if the entry at the moment is permited or a PCR test has to be presented and a quaratine period undergone) can be found on our website.

Despite the actual special conditions for the entry to Austria regarding COVID-19 the regulations for the application for visa or a residence title - as given on our website below - are still in force.

Textgrafik Residence title unknown © OeAD
Textgrafik Covid-19 Entry requirements © OeAD
Grafik Brexit © OeAD
expand allcollapse all
  • I do not know which residence title I need

    Please choose your nationality:

    EU/EEA/Switzerland Third Countries*

    *all countries except for Switzerland and member states of EEA and EU

    Please note, however, that the search results are general information that may not replace the possible need for detailed legal advice in individual cases. Despite all care in the design of the database we do not assume any liability for the accuracy, completeness and topicality of the search results. When linking to other websites we do not assume any liability/guarantee for their contents.

    To be able to plan a study or research period in Austria in an ideal way we recommend you to contact the desired study or research institutions approximately one year prior to your planned stay in Austria. In this way the content and duration of your stay – which is also important for the selection of the appropriate visa/residence title – can be specified.

  • I am an OeAD scholarship holder

    OeAD scholarship holders can find further information here.

I already know for which visa or residence title I will have to apply for

expand allcollapse all