Organisation and tasks
The OeAD is the Austrian agency for international mobility and cooperation in education, science and research.
With a budget of more than 70 million euros and more than 250 employees in 2020, the OeAD promotes and connects people and institutions with future-oriented programmes in education, science, research and culture.
- Organigramm OeAD 2020 (735,3 KB)
The OeAD advises, promotes and supports international cooperation in education, science and research. We support strategic development and guide implementation measures. We analyse international developments and work out appropriate recommendations and measures to be taken.
The basics: continuous benchmarking, knowledge management, knowledge processing and permanent dialogue with our partners.
Identity & areas of focus
The OeAD is the central service point for European and international mobility and cooperation programmes in education, science and research.
- As a full service provider we deal with the creation and implementation of the programmes.
- We coordinate international higher education marketing and represent Austria as a location for learning and research around the world.
- We are expert partners for strategic tasks in international cooperation.
Our core business is the exchange of people across the age and educational spectrum. In doing this we support institutional cooperation in Europe and worldwide. We manage international cooperation programmes and coordinate and support their implementation. For example, there is a special focus on development cooperation and on exporting education.
The OeAD is in charge of the international exchange of pupils, apprentices, students, lecturers and researchers and carries out international educational projects.
- manage programmes in education, training, science and mobility and internationalisation measures.
- support and advise the federal government in the conception and development of European and international initiatives.
- provide information and advice to institutions, in particular educational institutions, and Austrian representative authorities.
- offer services for mobility in European and international cooperation.
- promote Austria worldwide as an attractive location for education and research.
- administer programmes for collaboration in development cooperation.
- represent Austrian interests at European and international institutions on behalf of the federal government.
- inform the general public about European and international cooperation.
- support university courses to prepare students for supplementary examinations (University Preparation Programmes).
- support national authorities who deal with international and European networks and transparency instruments.
- carry out programmes and measures with public and private providers of funds to make education more international.