Republic of Kosovo
Capital: Pristina / Prishtina
Area: 10,877 km²
Population: approx. 1.8 million
Official languages: Albanian and Serbian, partially Turkish and Bosnian
Pristina / Prishtina
In close cooperation with Kosovo’s Ministry of Education the OeAD implements projects in the area of quality development and new forms of teaching and learning to promote entrepreneurship learning. The projects are coordinated by the OeAD's regional office in Tirana.
- Vocational education and training in lower secondary and upper secondary schools
- Quality development
Regional Project School Meets Business (SmB)
Albania, Kosovo, North Macedonia
Promoting the quality and labour market relevance of vocational education and training by increasing cooperation between vocational education and training and the business sector, especially in the area of "work-based learning", is considered a reform priority in Albania, Kosovo and North Macedonia. For this reason Albania, Kosovo and North Macedonia have chosen the "promotion of learning at the workplace in all its forms" as a priority when it comes to implementing the "Riga resolutions".
This is where the regional project "School Meets Business" comes in. The aim is to strengthen the competence of schools of vocational education and training in three partner countries for professional cooperation with the business sector, especially in the organisation of different formats of in-company learning. The focus is on introducing business liaison officers at schools as competent interfaces between schools and businesses. The project is implemented in close cooperation with the ministries responsible for vocational education and training, vocational training agencies, schools of vocational education and training and companies.
Expected results are:
- The task profile for business liaison officers at schools of vocational education and training has been developed at national level with the support of regional exchange and introduced into the education system.
- A detailed study per country on the different formats of "work-based learning" that are used is available.
- 4 multipliers per country and up to 40 business liaison officers per country (up to 120 persons in total) have been trained and apply their knowledge in their daily work
- Quality criteria for the cooperation between schools and businesses are applied and have been integrated into the school quality assurance system.
The following target groups are reached by means of approximately 70 events in the three countries:
Direct target groups: 12 multipliers from the three countries, 120 business liaison officers of schools of vocational education and training in the three countries
Indirect target groups: approx. 40,000 pupils at 120 vocational schools in Albania, Kosovo and North Macedonia, 120 headmasters and headmistresses, the teaching staff of the schools and cooperation partners in companies
Implementation of school quality development
In a Twinning project (2014 to 2017) the OeAD was responsible for the component of “pre-university quality development”. A team of Austrian experts supported the Kosovan Ministry of Education and relevant stakeholders in the development and implementation of a strategy for the introduction of a comprehensive pre-university QA system. The OeAD has continued to support the introduction process of the new QA system after the end of the Twinning project.
The QA coordinators at administrative district level (29 education directorates) and relevant representatives of the Kosovan Ministry of Education were supported in the exercise of their new role in the governance of the new QA system. School inspectors were trained to conduct external school evaluations. At school level school QA coordinators were trained and, in cooperation with UNICEF and KPI, school teams were trained in the use of self-evaluation results for school quality development.
Expected results are:
- School teams at 70 schools will be able to use self-evaluation results for school quality development
- 15 school inspectors have been trained in the external evaluation of schools
- QA coordinators in 29 education directorates will support schools in the implementation of school QA
- 150 school QA coordinators have been trained
- An analysis of the status quo of the implementation of the new QA mechanisms in 29 education directorates is available
Contact Maddalena Comincini (Educational Coordinator)