Educational Cooperation with Eastern and South-Eastern Europe
On behalf of the Austrian Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research the department of Educational Cooperation promotes exchange and cooperation between educational institutions in Eastern and South-Eastern Europe and Austria in order to support sustainable education reforms at the pre-university level.
The projects are implemented through five project offices located in Chisinau, Odessa, St. Petersburg, Sarajevo (responsible for Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Serbia) and Tirana (responsible for Albania, Kosovo, Macedonia), which are headed by Austrian educational coordinators. For more informationsee this link.
The OeAD’s project partners include the respective ministries responsible for education and training at the pre-university level, education and vocational education and training agencies, teacher training institutions, regional education administrations, schools and other stakeholders in the OeAD’s partner countries and in Austria.
Moreover, the OeAD-GmbH supports the Austrian Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research in implementing mobility programmes within the context of the Ministry’s "Service Centre for International Mobility Programmes" and in the coordination of Priority Area 9 of the EU Strategy for the Danube Region, " Investing in People and Skills".
- The OeAD-GmbH promotes innovative forms of peer learning within and between education systems to promote targeted change management.
- The thematic focuses are oriented on common priorities at the interface between national education developments and those at EU level. A priority area in this context is vocational education and training.
- Multilingualism and diversity are continually increasing at Austrian schools. The OeAD-GmbH promotes dialogue and cooperation between educational institutions in Austria and the main countries of origin of children with migration backgrounds.
Projects and Activities
In the context of its projects providing sustainable support for education reforms the OeAD-GmbH organises training measures and advisory services, peer learning activities, conferences, round tables and workshops focussing on the following subject areas:
- Implementation of effective quality development in education
- Development of practice-oriented and labour market-relevant vocational education and training with a special focus on promoting cooperation between vocational education and training and the business sector
- Development of new teaching and learning strategies to promote competence-based learning
- Increasing equal opportunities in education systems
- Promotion of educational networks to support change management
The Austrian educational coordinators’ network:
The OeAD-GmbH maintains a network of project offices in Eastern and South-Eastern European partner countries on behalf of the Austrian Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research for the implementation of sustainable projects. These offices are headed by educational coordinators, who have been directly delegated by the Austrian Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research.
The OeAD-GmbH supports the Austrian Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research within the framework of the programme "Teaching Worldwide" in the area of the language assistance programme, short stays for teachers, Austrian teachers abroad and educational coordinators and in the programme "Culture and Language".
1. Language assistance programme:
The OeAD-GmbH coordinates the application process, conducts interviews together with the Austrian Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research and cooperates closely with the partner organisations of the host countries in the selection and placement process. Language assistants work together with the responsible teachers of German in the context of German language instruction, primarily at secondary schools. The language assistance programme is currently in place with Belgium, France, Great Britain, Italy, Croatia, the Republic of Ireland, the Netherlands, Russia, Spain and Switzerland. For further information about the Language Assistance Programme and application see www.sprachassistenz.at.
2. Austrian Teachers and Educational Coordinators Abroad:
The OeAD-GmbH and the Austrian Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research support the Austrian teachers and educational coordinators abroad who are implementing educational projects in various countries of Eastern and South-Eastern Europe. For further information see www.weltweitunterrichten.at.
3. Culture and language:
"Culture and Language" is a programme of the Austrian Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research, which is run by the OeAD-GmbH and which offers various forms of collaboration in the field of "German as a foreign language" as well as Austrian cultural studies worldwide. Partners are German teachers' associations, universities that train teachers in “German as a foreign language” and Austrian Libraries. For further information see www.kulturundsprache.at.
Coordination Office EUSDR
The OeAD supports the Austrian Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research in its coordinating role of the educational priority of priority area 9 "To invest in people and skills" of the EU Strategy for the Danube Region. Priority area 9 (PA9) focuses on intensifying cooperation in the education and labour market sectors in order to contribute to a balanced socio-economic development of the Danube Region and to achieving the relevant EU 2020 and ET 2020 strategies.