Cultural Education with Schools
On behalf of the Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research (BMBWF) the "Cultural Education with Schools" department works at the interface between schools, the arts and culture. In this context, participatory cultural education projects and activities with schools throughout Austria are conceived, accompanied, promoted, and given advisory and organisational support.
Work in this field is based on the central principle that children and young people should be encouraged to participate actively in artistic and cultural processes and foster their competences, taking the circumstances of their own lives as a point of departure. The projects are carried out in cooperation with artists and cultural professionals as well as with artistic and cultural institutions.
Engaging in direct encounters with artists gives children and young people new ways of accessing and involving themselves in the arts and culture and is thus – also in the context of equal opportunities – an important precondition for participation in the processes of society.
Alongside the cultural education activities in Austria exchange and networking in this field at European level constitute a further thematic focus.
- With its cultural education programmes and its large network of cooperation partners the OeAD-GmbH promotes the active involvement of children and young people in various forms of contemporary art and culture. The objective is to promote active participation in the arts and culture on as broad a basis as possible as well as a constructive approach to dealing with diversity and difference in society.
- The OeAD-GmbH supports collective and individual learning and teaching processes of pupils, teachers, artists and cultural educators, also in terms of a new learning culture at schools.
- The quality and sustainability of communication between cultural institutions, artists and young people are a central focus. Other important aspects are European developments in and discourses on cultural education.
Services and Activities
- Consultation services for teachers, artists, cultural educators and cultural institutions
- Financial support of cultural education activities in schools (e.g. programmes supporting cooperation with artists in the classroom, cultural education for apprentices, cooperation between schools and cultural institutions)
- Support of up to 2,600 workshops per year in the context of the “Dialogue Events” programme, Austria’s biggest cultural education programme
- Provision of impulses for the cultural development of schools
- Participation in EU programmes and groups of experts of the European Commission
- Cooperation with national and European networks
An overview of all current calls for proposals and submission deadlines in the area of "Cultural Education with Schools" in the 2019/20 school year can be found in this link.
Calls for proposals – Details
Areas of focus
Whether it is digital media, teaching history or literature, cultural school development or cultural education for shaping democracy and society – the OeAD-GmbH always focuses on current issues and content. For more information see this link.
Advisory Service and more
The department is happy to advise and provide information about the possibilities and general conditions of successful cooperation between schools, art and culture as well as about funding possibilities for cultural education projects. For more information see this link.